Interior Design professional staff provides a full range of design expertise and project management services including Project Initiation, Design Development, Specifications, Installation and Follow-Up. We maintain a complete design library as product lines are researched and updated to ensure the best product value for our clients. Furniture panel systems (furniture requiring electricity and/or attachment to walls) must be specified by Interior Design.
Full design service may include meetings with, defining project scope, preliminary project budget, field measure, schedule & project checklist, furniture plans, furniture and finishes (carpet, paint, window treatments, etc.) selections and specifications, installation drawings, procure orders and bid preparation, track orders, coordinate installations and project follow-up complete. Designers adhere to the U of M Purchasing Guidelines working with approved vendors and bid product as required.
- Consultation meeting to establish departmental needs and scope of project
- Establish and prepare budget estimates to include architectural finishes, carpet, paint, furniture, labor and installation
- Communicate and coordinate general design information and project details
- Field measure building spaces
- Inventory existing furniture
- Space and elevation plans with CAD drawings
- Coordinate with Architecture, Engineering & Construction on lighting, ceilings, walls, signage, etc.
- Research, specify and present finishes, furniture, custom furniture orders fabric, carpet and window treatment selections. Verify that furniture selections and placements will insure a functional and proper installation dimensionally as it interfaces with the building electrical and communication receptacles.
- Assist and place orders within Purchasing guidelines regarding bid requirements, alternates and purchase order process. Orders are checked against acknowledgements and specifications.
- Coordinate Plant Work Orders with Carpenter, Electrical, Cabinetry, Paint, and Upholstery shops.
- Provide installation drawings.
- Coordinate deliveries and installations – verify entrances, elevator availability, dock access and parking provisions.
- Provide follow-up for any customer service issues including changes, damage and returned product.
- Ensure overall customer satisfaction.