With this year’s Student Move-In, community members can expect changes to the usual traffic and parking patterns. Move-In 2018 will take place Wednesday, August 29, through Friday, August 31. The increased traffic this activity brings may create traffic delays and will necessitate parking space closures and alterations to the city and U-M transit systems. The following information is provided to assist in planning for this annual activity.
With the cooperation of the City of Ann Arbor, some streets in the immediate vicinity of residence halls will have altered traffic-flows from 6:00 AM until 8:00 PM daily between August 29 and August 31. Traffic alterations will occur on the following:
- Thompson Street: One-way traffic flow southbound between East Jefferson Street and Packard Street
- East Madison Street: Closed from S. Division Street to Thompson Street; One-way traffic flow eastbound between Thompson Street and S. State Street
- East Washington Street: One-way traffic flow westbound between Fletcher Street and Thayer Street
- East Ann Street: One-way traffic flow eastbound between Zina Pitcher Place and Observatory Street
- Observatory Street: One-way traffic flow southbound between East Ann Street and Geddes Avenue
- Washington Heights: Closed from Observatory Street to E. Medical Center Drive
- Oxford: Parking reserved for move-in from Hill Street to Geddes Avenue
For more details, please see the map.
Most, if not all, parking meters in the immediate vicinity of residence halls will be bagged and reserved for students and families who display the proper Move-In unloading permit. Several university parking lots will be converted to Move-In use ONLY for the duration of Move-In. University lots that will be impacted Wednesday, August 29, through Friday, August 31, are as follows:
- Lot M28 (on Washington Heights)
- Lot M95 (just east of Markley Hall) – west half of lot will be for Move-In participants
- Lot E1 (on North University Court across from Stockwell Hall)
- Palmer Drive Parking Structure (N26) – all Visitor parking will be for Move-In participants
- W16 (“Triangle”) Lot (Thompson at Madison and Packard)
- NC32 (on Baits Drive south of Baits II housing) – 20 spaces will be for Move-In participants
BUS ROUTE ADJUSTMENTS
Both the Ann Arbor Area Transportation Authority (http://www.theride.org/Schedules-Maps-and-Tools/Service-Alerts) and University Logistics, Transportation & Parking (http://ltp.umich.edu/news/transit-alerts.php) will be modifying some bus routes to accommodate the changes in traffic flow. Please visit their websites for details.
Once again, uniformed Housing Security and Safety Officers and University Police Officers will be on site during Move-In and will aid in maintaining efficient traffic-flow in the residence hall areas. For additional information about Student Move-In 2018, please see http://www.housing.umich.edu/move-in-info.